Co-Owner, Web Designer & Imports Coordinator
Anticonquista Cafe LLC
Dec 2019 - Current
Anticonquista Cafe LLC is a family owned & operated coffee company, sourcing coffee only from our family farm in southeastern Guatemala. While my husband handles the day-to-day operations of coffee roasting & selling at local farmers markets I support on a part-time & seasonal basis. Primary support roles include:
• Administrative & Accounting:
Duties include bookkeeping, sales & invoice tracking, data entry and ensure all license & permits are up to date and in compliance with federal, state & local requirements.
• E-Commerce Web Support:
Front & back-end design, content creation including graphics, photography, video & product copy.
Analyze web analytics & SEO to increase traffic and site engagement.
Utilize social media platforms & e-mail marketing to expand our reach to target customers, promote sales & events.
• Export/Import Logistics:
Seasonally I assist with the export/import process of the coffee harvest from the family farm. This requires being up-to-date on latest governmental agency requirements & protocols from the National Coffee Association (ANACAFE Asociación Nacional del Café), AGEXPORT & VUPE (Ventanilla Unica para las Exportaciones). Additionally I coordinate transportation logistics with truck couriers at the farm level to airfreight in Guatemala City, along with all customs paperwork with custom's agents in both Guatemala & the United States.
University of Chicago Library
Sep 2019 - Current
Work on all tasks related to the creation of digital collections from a wide range of materials held in the Library's general and special collections. From production operations through delivery, I prepare, digitize, review and manage files, and generate derivative files for multiple projects. Working closely with the Digitization Manager, I track complex projects and support vendor workflows along with the following responsibilities:
• Create high-resolution TIFF master files from paper based materials according to preservation standards using a variety of scanning and photography equipment and software.
• Prepare original materials for in-house/vendor projects by assigning directory structures, assessing physical condition of items, and
packing items for shipment.
• Conduct file management tasks and reviews master files for quality and accuracy on in-house and vendor generated files in accordance
with digital standards and best practices.
• Ensure assigned projects and competing priorities are on target & meet completion deadlines through the usage of the production database.
• Produce structural metadata and derivative files for delivery using a variety of software; derivative formats include XTF files, searchable pdfs,
and structural metadata.
Netflix Presents, Higher Ground & Big Mouth Productions
The Joe and Rika Mansueto Library Digitization Laboratory was asked to digitize former first lady Michelle Obama's family albums and photo collections for the Netflix documentary that looks at the life of Michelle Obama and book tour of her autobiography Becoming. As lead photographer in the Digitization Laboratory, I handled and photographed these personal and intimate materials with utmost care and discretion.
Manuscripts on Cultural Anthropology, 1931-1992
A digital collection of 204 titles encompassing a significant body of field-based research and other primary materials documenting over 100 Mesoamerican languages and their change over time.
Islamic Lithographs Collection
Consists of approximately 330 nineteenth- to twentieth-century Arabic lithograph printed books, mostly published in Iran and India, through Egypt, Turkey, and the Levant are also represented.
Yerkes Observatory Glass Plate & Logbook Collection (on-going)
These photographic images, taken over the last 120 years, document historical or periodic events such as novae or comets, as well as providing a basis for studying changes in the night sky.
University of Chicago Press
Sept 2017 - Sept 2019
• Managed approximately 65-80 new/reprint book projects at any time. Includes: monographs in all disciplines, trade, and illustrated. Responsible for all book production functions required throughout various stages of production.
• Corresponded with vendor CMS to get specs, place purchase orders, arrange scheduling, field inquiries, and address issues in production with typesetters, printers, art pre-press, etc.
• Reviewed submitted art, added metadata for approvals and designated use. Scribe Review manuscripts with ScML (XML language).
• Prepared and routed art proofs, manuscript proofs, keyline/cover proofs, and other materials for internal routing approval process.
• Departmental liaison within the Books Division on fielding requests, inquiries, and concerns from the book team regarding specs, costs, scheduling, and deliverables.
• Built/maintained production schedules per title for teams to track individual tasks, assignments, and project status; created exhibition schedule Press wide to track future academic meetings in correspondence with delivery dates.
• Administrative dues: Maintain vendor directory listing, process invoices, request manufacturing quotes, create cost estimates, close final costs.
Rights & Images Assistant
Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
Dec 2014 - Aug 2016
• Processed, organized, catalogued, and maintained museum produced photochemical and digital photographic archives.
• Corresponded with researchers through e-mail, set up appointments for material viewings in museum archive and library; wrote and implemented policies/corresponding fee schedule for researchers; provided along visual resources for external imagereproduction requests equaling in over $7,000.00 in annual income.
• Administered digital asset management for 1.4 million assets via Extensis Portfolio and TMS; generated and audited over 3,000 object records for a database migration from FileMaker Pro to TMS; captured and populated over 2,500 images on museum's collection website for an IMLS grant.
• Assisted in the production of exhibition catalogs/seasonal magazines with curators to source images; negotiated with artists' rights societies, studios, galleries, and other copyright holders.
• Project manager for timeline of publications to meet deadlines, track licensing fees to meet or lower budget costs, coordinated with contracted photographers for photo shoots.
• Liaison across all departments to ensure accuracy and styling of all captions, copyright laws, and image use abided for all publications. Certified image quality for print and digital platforms before files were distributed to DAM systems.
• Supervised Photo Archives Interns.
Feb 2014 - Dec 2014
• Answered inquiries on equipment/availability for rentals for corporate clients: Kohl's, Lands' End, Sears, Groupon, Hedrich Blessing.
• Scheduled reservations for clients locally and nationally; served as a liaison with couriers and logistics.
• Met deadlines of testing equipment, and packed reserved orders under high stress and increased clientele traffic.
• Provided exceptional customer service in a competitive online sales industry by engaging clients on latest products by hands-on demos.
• Stayed up-to-date and informed on latest technology developments and product launches with Sales Reps.
• Administered deposits for rentals, insurance policies with clients, and created sales orders/register duties.
Photo Equipment: Strobes: ProFoto Acute/Pro (DFR2400, Pro B Series, D1 AIR); Broncolor (Scoro, Verso, Pulso); Speedotron (2403 pack, 202s); Speedlites (Canon 600 EX-RT)
Video Equipment: HMI, LED, Tungsten Continuous: 5600k JOKER, ARRI, KINOFLOW (Diva & Tegra), LITE PANELS (1x1 Bicolor), LOWEL (200/400 Prime). Zeiss CP.2 Cinema lens series, Marshall HD Monitors, Zacuto should rigs and other accessories. Røde shotgun Mic & Videomic Pro. Senheiser MKE 400 Shoe Mic & wireless lavalier kit. ZOOM H4N audio recorder.
Studio Accessories: Manfrotto, Cartoni, O'Conir tripods, booms, stands, seamless, etc. (DSLR cameras, lenses, audio recorders, continuous/strobe lighting, and all lighting studio accessories).
City Lit Books
Aug 2012 - Feb 2014
• Used previous retail and inventory experience to assist in the opening of an independent bookstore and curating the art, philosophy, Spanish literature, and books in Spanish sections.
• Lead for inventory control including receiving/shipping procedures from local and national publishers; purchase orders, vendor profiles, SKU assignment for consignment products, and tracking wholesale discounts.
• Place orders with distributors for special customer requests and restock on a weekly basis; responsible for opening/closing duties including cash flow, debit/credit transactions, and daily bank deposits.
• I.T. support and content creator for store's website, social media platforms, monthly newsletters, and press releases. In-house photographer for store events.
• Collaborate with colleagues on bookclubs, author readings, and off site events including magazine publisher Contratiempo's annual series Poseía en Abríl at the Poetry Foundation and the National Museum of Mexican Art.
May 19 - 21, 2017
Sixty Inches From Center is a non-profit online arts publication and archiving initiative. The partnership with Harold Washington Library is an ongoing effort to get contemporary Chicago artists and spaces in the Chicago Artist Files which includes over 11,000 artists that has been compiled over the past 70 years. During the three day festival I volunteered at the DIY Archiving, Scanning, and Digitizing Station. Here I taught participants how to scan their ephemera themselves (encouraged) or to drop off materials and scanned and digitized their ephemera for them. As part of a residency with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events this event took placed at the Chicago Cultural Center.
Researched and digitized archival photographic materials documenting the MCA's institutional history according to museum standards and best practices. Tasks include: handling and digitizing slides and negatives in various formats, and processing raw scans with Photoshop in order to produce web-ready images. Demonstrated experience with traditional and digital photographic practices, including my background in contemporary art history.
Worked with high school, middle school, and elementary students of Chicago Public Schools and After School Matters in Chicago's at-risk south and west side neighborhoods. Assisted in the preparations of mural designs, execution, and instruction. Instructed and supervised students on technical skills of the mosaic process while engaging in their artistic visions. Promoted the history, culture, and arts of México & Latin America to students.
Aug - Dec 2012
Collaborated with director Robert Stockwell, named filmmaker of the year in the Chicago Reader's The People Issue 2014 on location for a feature documentary film. Assembled, prepared, and set up video and audio equipment. Executed camera movements for cinematography, found solutions to technical and logistical problems. Creatively framed and captured action, responded quickly to directions. Burnt in Memory screened at the 2015 Chicago Underground Film Festival